The week of May 6-12 has been designated as International Coaching Week and will be celebrated all around the globe. The goal of the week is to raise awareness of coaching. Most people I know could benefit from having a personal coach, but most people don’t understand coaching – how it works or how they might benefit.
The International Coach Federation (ICF) (the main accrediting body for professional coaches) defines coaching as partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential. I think a quote from a Forbes article in 2015 provides a good way of understanding coaching:
• Create a safe environment in which people see themselves more clearly;
• Identify gaps between where the client is and where the client needs or wants to be
• Ask for more intentional thought, action and behavior changes than the client would have asked of him or herself
• Guide the building of the structure, accountability, and support necessary to ensure sustained commitment”
So, what are some reasons you might want to hire a coach? Here are a few:
• Optimize individual/teamwork performance
• Expand career opportunities
• Increase self-esteem/self-confidence
• Improve business management
• Manage work/life balance
To celebrate coaching week in Nashville and the surrounding area, the ICF Tennessee chapter and Lipscomb University are hosting “Get Coached,” an evening of complimentary coaching on Tuesday evening, May 8, from 5 to 9 PM at Spark in downtown Nashville. Anyone in the Nashville area is welcome to register and receive a 45-minute complimentary coaching session. We will have coaches from a variety of disciplines available. There will be executive coaches, life coaches, and wellness coaches.
Click here to book a session with a coach.
Come and experience coaching for yourself.